Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Way back when....

As a child I was active, although not athletic.

I was one of those kids that ran EVERYWHERE! I was outside as much as I possibly could be. The youngest of three girls, and a daddy's girl, where he was, I was. My dad worked hard to provide us with the lifestyle he wanted for us, which included growing up in an outer leafy suburb of Melbourne on five acres with horses, dogs, cats, chooks, ducks, goats and birds.
I would walk 5 kms on Saturdays to spend the day with him at his weekend job when my mother was unable to drive me there.
I often showed an interest in dance, and various sports however this was never really encouraged as neither of my parents were interested in sport AND according to my mother, I had no coordination.

Mum baked cakes and biscuits for our school lunches even though she worked 4 days a week. She would reward us with chocolate and store bought ice creams and sweets.Thankfully we were never forced to eat more than we were able, or to finish a plate. Food was used to entice, not to discipline. My dad was always more than happy to finish off what was left on our plates.
Dad loved food, all food. He had travelled widely in his youth, and had experienced many gourmet and international meals. He often reminisced and shared these experiences through retelling dining events and meals in great detail and with enthusiasm.

We were all slim children, my oldest sister and I, skinny. We ate quantities and calorie rich foods that should have seen us become obese, but this was not the case. We must have had fast calorie burning metabolisms. This proved to give me a false sense of security regarding my ability to eat whatever I like, as often as I liked.
My parents were both overweight.
As a teen I rode my horses regularly, jumping, dressage, cross country and for pleasure. This meant that if I concentrated and had enough interest and determination, I did have coordination as I had hands, elbows, fingers, knees, thighs, heels, toes, seat, back, chest, eyes, chin, head, voice, calves all working simultaneously to guide and direct and respond to my horse.


No comments:

Post a Comment